Saturday 21 October 2017

Gentle Answers


A gentle answer turns away anger, but a harsh word stirs up wrath.
Proverbs 15:1 HCSB

Where do harsh words come from? I would hazard to suggest: history, hurt, hatred. When it comes to offence we have long memories. We can recognise this because in a conflict out comes the words: "You said this.... you did this!" It might have been 20 years ago but it is still there.

What to do about it? Invite God into that memory, ask Him to heal the hurt. As I invite the Holy Spirit in and let Him go to work I am often surprised in how He heals me. It is always a pleasurable experience: sometimes a sense of knots being undone; sometimes a burden being lifted; other times a revelation of truth. Yet if I don't invite Him and don't humble myself and seek release, I stay the same.

Gentle answers come from God. I don't have them in my flesh, all I have are hot irons. Working with the Holy Spirit is imperative when dealing with others. He loves them more than we do and He knows which will produce life and which will produce death. Work with Him! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment