Monday 10 December 2018

Giving at Christmas


Do not owe anyone anything, except to love one another, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. The commandments: Do not commit adultery; do not murder; do not steal; do not covet; and whatever other commandment — all are summed up by this: Love your neighbor as yourself. Love does no wrong to a neighbor. Love, therefore, is the fulfillment of the law.
Romans 13:8‭-‬10 HCSB

As we approach Christmas, remember, dont go into debt with gift purchase. Read the above again and again. Allow your priorities to be kingdom priorities. Let you giving be in grace and thoughtfulness towards others.

I approach Christmas trying to put on a street party for my neighbors. I have asked them all to bring something to share, a chair and their own drinks. In any organising it is important that we not do everything but rather make room for everybody to contribute. They need to love their neighbors as well.

Whilst in Nepal recently I read a book which talked about Latin Americans in San Francisco (I think) doing a play leading up to the street party. I am endeavouring to rope in the children to play Mary and Joseph who are seeking somewhere to stay for the night. I have told all the neighbors to say: "No room here, go away." It is amazing how reluctant people can be to getting involved.

Spirit of God come upon my neighborhood and bring them together in celebrating Christmas. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment