Humility and good works

“If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom.”James‬ ‭3‬:‭13‬ ‭NLT‬‬

James is dealing out truth, he goes on to speak about jealousy and selfish ambition then delivers the punch line: “But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and the fruit of good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere.”
‭‭James‬ ‭3‬:‭17‬ ‭NLT‬‬

I see the words ‘’ no favouritism’. I attended a church on Sunday here in Amsterdam. The heavies were all on the front row. A young woman who was seated on the front row in front of me was asked to move so a group of ‘inportant people’ could sit there. One of these ‘heavies’ went and got a camera and was all over the place taking photos and not engaged in worship at all. That same ‘heavy’, at a time when people shake hands with others, perfunctorily took my hand. His was limp and carried no love. Yet, the young woman who was asked to move was involved in the sevice as a servant during communion.

The heavies were all over each other and not the small people. Sitting across from me was a new believer. I could see him still loaded down with his past, seeking God. We had to hold hands at one point and I was blessed to hold his hand.

I was reminded of the difference I experienced when I went to see Bill Johnson preach. He came straight into the crowd talking to people. He carries more importance than the unknowns I saw Sunday but he does not grasp. He does not have a ‘body guard’. He is simple and loving.

My take away was: ‘never be ao impressed with yourself that you lose sight of who you are serving’. Jesus came to seek and save the lost not claim position. He emptied Himself of position and came down to us. Praise Him! He is our example! Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doing to others

No surrender to fear

Guard your heart