Wednesday 21 March 2018

I Have Told You...


“I have told you these things to keep you from stumbling. They will ban you from the synagogues. In fact, a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering service to God. They will do these things because they haven’t known the Father or Me. But I have told you these things so that when their time comes you may remember I told them to you. I didn’t tell you these things from the beginning, because I was with you.
John 16:1‭-‬4 HCSB

Jesus told His disciples that they would be persecuted, to keep them from stumbling. The first verse refers to Chapter 15:18-25. Verse 25 is taken from psalm 69:4 ' they hated Me for no reason.'

We see the hate more and more. If we dare to speak biblical truth we are hated. If we have a different opinion or view we are hated. Hate is rife in our culture. Today I read a letter by a prominent minister in London, to the BBC confronting them for their bias against the church. He said that they would not print the truth if it went against popular sentiment. How successful he was remains to be seen.

Several weeks ago, while Australia was having a vote regarding same sex marriage, our ABC, Australia's version of the BBC was scathing in their derision of the church. However I happened to see them do a report about Hillsong Church which was very constrained. They appeared to be acting what they did not believe. I was surprised. It looked as if they were under orders and not willing. Their mouths said what their eyes did not agree with.

As Christians our major recourse is prayer. Prayer changes things. As I pray I have seen drugs dealt with in my city, I have seen robberies taken in hand and now I am praying for children who are abused and for speeding on our streets to be taken in hand. I am determined to see God move in my city. I am praying for an outpouring of the Spirit.

Complaining does nothing, but God's Spirit works miracles. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment