Tuesday 23 July 2024

How we love

“We love each other because he loved us first.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭4‬:‭19‬ ‭NLT‬‬

We can think of ourselves as a loving person, and maybe we are inclined to be a touchy feely person. However, when people are their worst we discover the truth. Unless the love of God courses through our veins we avoid difficult people and turn to those we find it easier to love.

The Lord impregnates our hearts with love for a particular group of people. For me they are the weak, old, frail, young children, and Nepali. I see the lostness in th eyes and the desperate need for a saviour.

Last night my flatmates returned from a walk gushing with joy. They had a divine appointment with a Hindu family who showered them with gifts from their field. They are now determined to share their greatest gift with their new friends, Jesus.

Whist I have my heartfelt need to pray for and seek to speak to certain people the Lord also surrounds me with those who are troublesome, and a challenge. I know that to serve these well I need God’s love for them, otherwise I would smack them with a wet fish and tell them to wake up (not a good look). This is where discipline on my part is required. I pray for them and my own behaviour to them. I seek God’s love for them.

I remember Jesus loves me no matter what I am doing, His love for me when I am unlovely reminds me to love the unlovely. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment