Saturday 20 July 2024

Iron upon iron

“As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭27‬:‭17‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Iron is not usually used to sharpen iron, a whetstone is. However, I had two grandfathers who were butchers and ai still remember them sharpening their knives, either one against another or against a sharpening rod. It is not a quick and easy process, it takes time and effort.

Friendships sharpen each other over time. I had three friends visit yesterday. Two were a couple and one a single man. Both sets have a different effect on me. All are Christians. I have another friend whom I will walk with later today, a new female friend who has been in Nepal for 16 years. Her dedication and committment to the Nepali people speaks to my heart. I have two female friends who I share our flat with. We are more active in sharpening each other. We come from different perspectives in life and have conflict, which when resolved sees us all sharper.

All the above are people I do life with. I have newer friends who I am acquainting myself with and looking to learn from. At the language college I attend I am making new friends, one is a very generous Chinese woman. I want to visit China and am interested in the Chinese language.

Expecting people to put up and shut up is extremely rude. We must allow others to counter our attitudes and opinions. This is how we are sharpened. This is how we are transformed into the likeness of Jesus, and this process is a must. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment