Saturday 4 November 2017

Endurance in the Race


Therefore, since we also have such a large cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily ensnares us. Let us run with endurance the race that lies before us, keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Him endured a cross and despised the shame and has sat down at the right hand of God’s throne.
Hebrews 12:1‭-‬2 HCSB

Nothing we do goes unnoticed. We may assume 'no one notices' but we are wrong. We can see ourselves as an island (me, myself and I) but we are not. Myself, I spend a lot of my time alone but I have witnesses. I quite enjoy a good murder mystery? A 'who dunnit?' Always, always, always, there is somebody who knows something and what murderers and thieves assume is: no one saw me!

Not only do we have earthly eyes watching us, we have those who have gone before us watching. They cheer us on. They have paid the price for their faith, many dying horribly. We cannot fail then, our children and grandchildren, brothers and sisters and last of all neighbours and workmates.

How do we keep keeping on? Keeping our eyes on Jesus, our hero, and not ourselves. Jesus, the Son of God, endured shame for us. He despised it for the hope set before Him. He had a vision of all the souls who would come to believe in Him. It was worth it for Him. This is how much He valued those yet unborn.

Therefore, let is run the race set before us, consistently, with endurance and never, never, never give up! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment