Sunday 26 May 2024

Restful peace

“I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint.”
‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭31‬:‭25‬ ‭NIV‬‬

This verse comes from an encouraging word spoken by Jeremiah about the children of Israel and the then- coming time of their return, it also spoke prophetically of the time they now find themselves in, never to be removed again.

However, as usual, us Christians take heart from this verse as it typifies our saviour’s role in our own lives. “Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”Matthew‬ ‭11‬:‭28‬-‭30‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Jesus encourages us to take His yoke upon us, instead of the worry we carry. Now, a yoke sounds heavy, however, when animals are yoked together they share the load. Whereas, when we carry our own burdens we carry them alone. This reminds us of the picture of Pilgrim in ‘Pilgrim’s Progress’. Pilgrim had to find himself at the cross and there he was able to unburden himself of his own troubles. It is the same for us.

If you are weary today, leave your burden of worries with Jesus and ask Him to forgive you for running your own race and come into your life. He will give you a restful peace and walk with you. Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment