Saturday 16 September 2017

If You Love Me...

The one who has My commands and keeps them is the one who loves Me. And the one who loves Me will be loved by My Father. I also will love him and will reveal Myself to him.”
John 14:21 HCSB
Further on in the same chapter, Jesus said: The one who doesn’t love Me will not keep My words. The word that you hear is not Mine but is from the Father who sent Me.
John 14:24

Loving anyone, really loving them, means we believe in them, cover them, honour them. Offence breaks honour and respect. When we are offended we betray, much as Judas did. Therefore it is important we keep short accounts and deal with things promptly.

How does Jesus offend us? He fails to comply with our agenda, we feel let down. When life dishes us a storm we blame our God for not protecting us or for not preventing it. I have had many opportunities to be offended with my God, fortunately or I should say, unfortunately, I reserve it for my fellow beings. Isn't this crazy! We become disappointed and offended.

Judas was disappointed in Jesus and betrayed Him, whereas, John loved again and again, through all. John lived the longest and it is reputed that his enemies tried boiling him in oil, but God preserved him.

If we look closely at both these men, John loved from the start, He loved Jesus as a person, as God and never wavered. He followed Jesus to the cross. Judas was a shadowy creature, (much like Gollum in the Hobbit), who became obsessed with a ring. Judas was offended that expensive ointment was poured out on Jesus, He coveted it for himself. He was offended that Jesus did not behave as He wanted Him to.

Knowing that loving and offense are ever before me, may I choose love, every time. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment