Friday 8 September 2017

More Blessed To Give


In every way I’ve shown you that by laboring like this, it is necessary to help the weak and to keep in mind the words of the Lord Jesus, for He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”
Acts 20:35 HCSB

I am reading a very good book right now called 'When Helping Hurts'. As one who gives and who wants to help nations like Nepal, I am very mindful of the right and wrong way to give. I could start right at the first place a Christian might give-church. Giving money is not enough, I must give my heart and be involved. When we just give money we can easily fall into critical mode as to how it would be spent. We see this even in the way we speak of our government, we pay taxes and therefore think it is right to criticise when money does not go where we think it should.

If I give to a need in Nepal, I have to be willing to give more than money. Money alone feeds a boy for today, it does not teach him how to fish. I am in to enabling the whole person to get out of poverty. Therefore, I must find the right way.

In my own community there are different types of poverty: poverty of education, poverty of relationships and poverty of spirit. A holistic approach must be given but not with formulas but with a heart desire to get to know people and meet them where they are at.

Give all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment