Friday 29 September 2017

Time For Rest


“Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. All of you, take up My yoke and learn from Me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for yourselves. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Matthew 11:28‭-‬30 HCSB

Our world is reeling under the weight of so many disasters: man made and nature. Men would be forgiven for going to fear.

Today Australia goes into a long weekend, a mini holiday, it is called 'Labour Day Weekend.' Us who labour are being given and extra day off. It also falls in school holidays and some are already on holiday.

Yet, how much rest do we gain? Not much! Why? We are pushed along by appetites and desires, the wishes of others amd a feeling we should be doing something. Thus, no rest! Parents with small children know what this is like. I have a new, young, hyper-sensitive dog. My nights are seldom quiet.

What rest we crave is seldom the rest we need. The first real rest is rest of spirit: knowing we are ok with God, peace with God is of the utmost importance. I believe this is what Jesus was speaking about. If we have rest within then it affects all we do without. As we allow rest to be in command our thinking is renewed and peace follows.

The next rest is freedom from unmet expectations: as we yield our thinking processes to God we are at rest. If it is His agenda we follow, all else is good. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment