Friday 20 October 2017

The Tongue

A gentle answer turns away anger, but a harsh word stirs up wrath.
The tongue of the wise makes knowledge attractive, but the mouth of fools blurts out foolishness.
The tongue that heals is a tree of life, but a devious tongue breaks the spirit.
The lips of the wise broadcast knowledge, but not so the heart of fools.
A discerning mind seeks knowledge, but the mouth of fools feeds on foolishness.
A man takes joy in giving an answer; and a timely word — how good that is!
Proverbs 15:1‭-‬2‭, ‬4‭, ‬7‭-‬7‭, ‬14‭, ‬23 HCSB

The tongue can do so much good or so much damage. Myself, I know when I am emotionally charged with either offence or anger, if I let my tongue loose, I do damage;.when feeling euphoric I can bubble away indiscriminately and also do damage unknowingly. Yet, if all emotions are in check and the tongue has on the reins, I can be a blessing. I have to constantly ask the Holy Spirit for wisdom and guidance and self-control. Yes self-control needs my intentionality but I get the Holy Spirit to go 'Ding' to remind me: 'Stop, look and listen, mouth shut!'

With restraint and waiting on the Holy Spirit, I can actually speak wisdom. It is amazing what a little restraint can do.

Remember a fool bubbles away indiscriminately. A wise person shows restraint.

A wise tongue heals, a fool tears up relationships.

Emotional immaturity provides the fuel for a foolish tongue. Emotional maturity is wisdom and self-control. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment