Sunday 5 November 2017

Walking Out Freedom


I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
Galatians 2:19b,20 HCSB

This little gem comes at the end of chapter 2 of Galatians. In the bulk of the chapter Paul tells how he was set apart, his relationship with the leaders in Jerusalem and how He confronted Peter about his hypocrisy towards the Gentiles. I worry about being critical, in print, at times, but here is, to Peter's eternal shame, a record of His rebuke by Paul.

The thrust of the letter to the Galatians is staying free and not going back into bondage. Peter, who Christ had set free, when faced with religious Jews from Jerusalem did not eat with the Gentiles, as he previously had done. He was exhibiting 'fear of man.'

When Jesus sets us free it is an insult to go back to our religious practices and no longer walk in freedom. We are not saved through works but for works. I cannot earn my salvation but must walk it out.

Jesus sets me free, continually, through the cross. Being crucified with Christ is being crucified to all legalism and works. Before I came to Christ I was full of works, to justify my existence. Now, when I do good works it is out of joy, the joy I experience is knowing I am loved and it leads me to love others. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment