Friday 4 May 2018

God's Doors


But you, man of God, run from these things, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. Fight the good fight for the faith; take hold of eternal life that you were called to and have made a good confession about in the presence of many witnesses.
1 Timothy 6:11‭-‬12 HCSB

'These things' mentioned here are the love of money and rich possessions. Young Timothy could not serve God and money. Mammon is the spirit behind money and its desire is our destruction and eternal death.

Timothy was a pastor in a prosperous heathen city, Ephesus. He would be challenged with all the glitter and opulence. Paul is encouraging him to keep his eyes on Jesus and the task of running a church free from error.

As a Christian I am called to do the work God has given me. I work in an industry that deals with money and have prosperous clients. I do not desire their blessing but rather desire God's plan and purpose. This, I have discovered, is far better for me than coveting what belongs to others.

By wasting time coveting riches we miss our door to God's abundance in our own lives. My greatest dread is missing God's doors. They are where life is for me. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment