Thursday 20 September 2018

Money, Money, Money


Your life should be free from the love of money. Be satisfied with what you have, for He Himself has said, I will never leave you or forsake you. Therefore, we may boldly say: The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?
Hebrews 13:5‭-‬6 HCSB

To help me understand these scriptures I cast my mind back to raising my children and lollies. As a parent I had to be the self-control for them. They would eat more than they needed, just because they were lollies. I remember my eldest grandson being trained in this area as well. I remember his 3rd birthday party and he saw lollies, he rarely had them, and cordial. He wanted to feast on these empty calories but his mum held him in check.

Jesus Himself told His disciples that if your son asked you for a fish, would you give Him a snake, therefore your heavenly Father is also good. He was referring to something else but the principle is the same. If we come to God asking for our needs, will He, instead, give us lemons?

Our Father is in the process of teaching us self-control and restraint. The lust for money, lots of it, drives us as times. We think of all the good we can do, however our Father knows what it will do to us. He is more interested in having children that reflect Him. If we consider Jesus, who came from glory, and could have called upon His Father for anything, He chose to live simply. Jesus did not own a house, a donkey, He did not have a large purse. In fact the purse was given to a thief to manage. Try and work that out!

No comments:

Post a Comment