Saturday 17 November 2018

Freely Scatter


And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written: “They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor; their righteousness endures forever.” Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
2 Corinthians 9:8‭-‬9‭, ‬15 NIV

God's abundance is not to waste on ourselves or the lusts of our flesh but for the poor. Since being in Nepal I am made aware of the poor so much more as the stark contrast is everywhere.

I see the hungry old lady on the bus, the skinny little man in the cafe. I notice those who must wear thongs instead of shoes in winter. These are the poor. No matter what I lack my lack does not compare to the lack I see. Down by the river in Kathmandu are shanties. I see the ones in thongs trying to earn a living by collecting cardboard or selling fruit from the back of a dilapidated bicycle.

In Nepal there is no government support for the poor. In Australia there is welfare. Those who cannot find work in Australia go to Centrelink.

Even in Nepal I see wealthy driving cars while the poor walk. Shops abound to lure those that have to spend on lusts not needs. The poor are forgotten as the media push desires for unnecessary rubbish. Jesus Himself said we would always have the poor yet scripture abounds in verse that shows we must care for them.

Have mercy Lord! Forgive us our sins of greed! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment