Thursday 6 December 2018

Stand Firm


Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.
1 Corinthians 16:13‭-‬14 HCSB


Have you heard the saying:"Man up.' I have a brother-in-law who is a man's man. My sister took me to have a pedicure and manicure for my birthday on Monday and whilst my feet were soaking a screen before me brought up images of services provided. One was a similar service for men. I mentioned this to my brother-in-law. He said:"no way!" He sees anything that smells like a woman is for women only. Men, in his book, lift weights, go kayaking, do man stuff.

Paul is possibly speaking to only men here or the text may be badly interpreted. If he is only speaking to men, and in the remaining chapter he mentions many men, it could be understood in that vein. However, we know Paul was not a sexist and that the church in Corinth had female members. Therefore, I would opt for bad translation.

So, in context what is Paul saying? Be alert, stand firm, act like a Christian, a Christ one, one purchased by the blood of the lamb. Be visible in your faith. Amen!

Lord show us how to be visible in our faith and stand for you. Bless us with insight into what you would have us do. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment