Wednesday 30 January 2019

Love is More Important


If I speak human or angelic languages but do not have love, I am a sounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so that I can move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I donate all my goods to feed the poor, and if I give my body in order to boast but do not have love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. Love does not envy, is not boastful, is not conceited, does not act improperly, is not selfish, is not provoked, and does not keep a record of wrongs. Love finds no joy in unrighteousness but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1 Corinthians 13:1‭-‬7 HCSB

The apostle Paul, in this letter to the Corinthians, is bringing correction amd order. They turn communion into a gluttonous feast, they fight over the gifts of the spirit amd are out of order with prophesy amd straight after he tells them this chapter: you need love guys and this is what it looks like.

We can so major in minors. I have my 87 year old mum living with me. Yesterday she went to the optometrist as she had a spontaneous bleed in her eye on Sunday. While she was there she wanted to organize new glasses for distance, mainly for her daily dose of TV, 1 hour a day. Mum had not thought through the process and paid more than she needed and now has two pairs of glasses, one for reading and one for distance. I tried to explain the inefficiency to no avail, she would not go back. I found this frustrating.However, if I remove from my mum her independence in organising her own glasses, which she paid for, I am robbing her.

When we returned home I had to help a neighbour with English for her residency exam. Because she is a dentist her exams are medically minded and the example test dealt with old people and dementia. Because of my experience with my mum I could help her understand the heart of the text rather than black and white. However, I came away being reminded that love is more important than efficiency.

Love empowers others and puts them first. We must give honour where honour is due. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment