Monday 10 June 2024

My treasure

“Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need. “So don’t be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom. “Sell your possessions and give to those in need. This will store up treasure for you in heaven! And the purses of heaven never get old or develop holes. Your treasure will be safe; no thief can steal it and no moth can destroy it. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.”Luke‬ ‭12‬:‭31‬-‭34‬ ‭NLT‬‬

I often wondered why the disciples sold all their possessions in the book of Acts and now I think I understand. Verse 33 gives us a hint. “Sell your possessions and give to those in need”. 

Does this mean I am to be without possessions? I am not sure it means all my possessions, as having a bed to sleep on is good, however once we become a little affluent we start buying things we think we might need, but rarely use. Going shopping just to look is deadly; going shopping for needs is prudent. Browsing shopping sites is laying a trap for ourselves.

Living in Nepal with those who know how to live with little is good for me. I do not have many of the luxurious toys here that I had in Australia. This saves money that can be better used for the gospel and others. Meeting refugees helps immensely.

The benefit to us is we will store up treasures in heaven where no one can steal and no moth destroy. I refused to buy a TV, although we were offered one. I am also refraining for purchasing a scooter as walking causes me to see people and talk to them. This life is not about my ease only but the gospel for others. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment