Thursday 18 July 2024

Abundance

“Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.” Luke‬ ‭6‬:‭38‬ ‭NLT‬‬

When Jesus said, ‘the amount you give will determine the amount you give back’, He was serious. It works for good and bad. If we are mean to others, meanness will come back to us not in equal measure but, pressed down, shaken together, running over.

Conversely, if we are generous, generosity will be returned to us in abundance. This applies to words spoken, acts done, attitudes displayed. Giving relates to all acts: giving a smile, an encouraging word, making time, giving finance, giving space, even thoughtfully making cookies.

I have a friend who is gluten-free and I made her a batch of peanut butter cookies. She loved them. She had shared her banana cake with me and I reciprocated with cookie, in abundance.

However, I did not share the cookies with my flatmates and so they made themselves a batch of sweets which they kept to themselves. I understood why they did this, fortunately, I did not want their sweets as they were pure sugar and sesame. However, I was compelled to explain that the cookies were made for my friend who could not eat wheat.

When I am selfish I am aghast at my behaviour. I try not to be selfish, but it happens when I least expect it. I was at college two days ago and was hungry and took out a small packet of crackers and ate them. I sensed that the Holy Spirit wanted me to give a cracker to the young girl sitting next to me, I didn’t. Although I reasoned it away I knew I was wrong and repented.

I thank God I have a saviour! I praise Him that He is teaching me to be selfless. May I learn this lesson. Amen!




No comments:

Post a Comment