Sunday 9 July 2017

Forgive Us


And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. “For if you forgive people their wrongdoing, your heavenly Father will forgive you as well. But if you don’t forgive people, your Father will not forgive your wrongdoing.
Matthew 6:12‭, ‬14‭-‬15 HCSB

I awake this morning aware of a need for corporate forgiveness. We can so be caught up in: me, myself and I, that we fail to see our part in the big picture. On Friday night I had a conversation with someone and I came away mortified with my association with all that they were and had become. Yet, I am a part of their sin. How can I disassociate myself from my brother's sin and condemn them whilst lifting myself up? I can't!

We all need our heavenly Father's forgiveness. In all my life, the role model I have been, the parent I was and am, the neighbour I was and am, all of it played a part in the lives of others. I cannot expunge myself by simply asking forgiveness from God and blithely moving on, forgetting that I had a part to play and failed.

We are a part of society, a member of a church, a neighbour and so forth. We have a role to play. As a child of God I have a responsibility to bring God's kingdom to earth - 'May Your Kingdom come, Your will be done.' The times I win, we win; the times I fail, we lose.

Therefore, I can come to God and ask His forgiveness for our sins. Note the prayer Jesus taught us was: 'forgive us our Sins!' Not, forgive me my sins. Whilst I know I must come to God for forgiveness of my sins, there is a bigger picture, it is we and us that needs to change. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment