Friday 25 August 2017

I Knock


Listen! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and have dinner with him, and he with Me.
Revelation 3:20 HCSB

This scripture is often used for the unsaved, psintings have been done of it as it is very famous, but it is taken from the letter to the church at Laodecia. The beginning is not pretty. Lets look at it:

“Write to the angel of the church in Laodicea: “The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Originator of God’s creation says: I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish that you were cold or hot. So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I am going to vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, ‘I’m rich; I have become wealthy and need nothing,’ and you don’t know that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked, I advise you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire so that you may be rich, white clothes so that you may be dressed and your shameful nakedness not be exposed, and ointment to spread on your eyes so that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and discipline. So be committed and repent.
Revelation 3:14‭-‬19 HCSB

In this day of 'feelgoodism' this is a shock. How could Jesus speak like this? Let's remember He died on a cross for us and rose again because God found Him faithful and true. He did not waiver in the face of persecution. He laid down His life for us and we are called to lay down our lives for Him. Amen!

If He is standing at the door of our hearts and knocking, why does He want to eat with us? This speaks of friendship. He wants to sit and have a chat and 'chew the cud', as farmers would say. I always invite people to lunch to get to know them. Over a meal, and perhaps a game, the real person emerges. Jesus wants to fellowship with us, not be our ATM or a remote God in the sky that we shoot repetitive prayers to. He is real and deserving of close, intimate fellowship. Give it a try! You'll be glad you did.Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment