Monday 2 October 2017

Learning Scripture


These words that I am giving you today are to be in your heart. Repeat them to your children. Talk about them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Bind them as a sign on your hand and let them be a symbol on your forehead. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
Deuteronomy 6:6‭-‬9 HCSB

This scripture follows on from this morning's reading Deut 6:4,5

I wonder why the Israelites were being told to write the scripture on their doorposts, hands amd heads and recite them to
themselves and to teach their children?

I grew up in a school, where, every morning we would stand and recite the times tables, then we would be quizzed on them. Guess who knows her times tables, still today, after 50 something years?

In high school I learned the mineral hardness scale by repeating an acronym. I still remember the acronym and therefore can repeat the hardness scale.

Now, if I can remember information that will not benefit me in eternity, what about that which will, such as scripture. When I first became a Christian we had scripture in song.I learned my scripture by singing it. I still remember them as well. When I sing scripture life comes, so much more the reason to learn it.

Perhaps it is time for a revolution in song, back to the word of God! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment