Saturday 14 October 2017

Quick to Hear


My dearly loved brothers, understand this: Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger,
James 1:19 HCSB

Oh dear! I think we have this backwards. I think we are slow to hear and quick to anger and to speak. Why is this so? In our natural state we rule out world. Everything is relative to me. How do I judge a thing? How do I perceive a thing? Do I find a matter insulting or flattering? Yet, this is not what James is telling us.

Prior to accepting his brother Jesus as his saviour, now that would be a tall ask in most people's book, James would have been given to such behaviour. We actually see a record of Jesus brothers goading Him to retun to Judea for the Festival of Tabernacles:

The Jewish Festival of Tabernacles was near, so His brothers said to Him, “Leave here and go to Judea so Your disciples can see Your works that You are doing. For no one does anything in secret while he’s seeking public recognition. If You do these things, show Yourself to the world.” (For not even His brothers believed in Him.)
John 7:2‭-‬5 HCSB

I am sure Jesus was an embarrassment to the family. How did the neighbours treat Jesus' mother, brothers and sisters? I am sure they were very uncomforyable for the full three years of His ministry and when He was crucified, totally humiliated yet relieved.

So, knowing James' history, how can we accept this teaching? James had an about face experience. After Jesus died He rose again and appeared to His family. I would love to have been in the room! How can you deny a risen Christ? We know James came to believe and went on to be the leader of the church in Jerusalem.

The same strong nature that denied Christ now preached Him and understood the power of the cross to change. For it is by grace alone we are saved and that grace empowers us to walk in the Spirit and not the flesh. Seek Him first in all things!Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment