Sunday 19 November 2017

Many Foes


Lord , how my foes increase! There are many who attack me. Many say about me, “There is no help for him in God.” Selah But You, Lord , are a shield around me, my glory, and the One who lifts up my head. I cry aloud to the Lord , and He answers me from His holy mountain. Selah I lie down and sleep; I wake again because the Lord sustains me. I am not afraid of the thousands of people who have taken their stand against me on every side. Rise up, Lord ! Save me, my God! You strike all my enemies on the cheek; You break the teeth of the wicked. Salvation belongs to the Lord ; may Your blessing be on Your people. Selah
Psalms 3:1‭-‬8 HCSB

Today let us digest a whole Psalm. The story behind this Psalm- David is on the run, again, but this time he is king and his pursuer is His Son Absalom.

We may fail to fully comprehend this Psalm, unless we have experienced the same thing. Not many of us will be kings and queens in an earthly sense, however as children of God we are royalty. In families there are feuds and jealousies, children can believe their parents favour one over another.

David's son Absalom wanted the throne. Perhaps his mother helped fuel this desire, we do not know. However, we know someone did. Absalom was a handsome young man, perhaps Satan seduced him into believing he was king, much like the same deception he once had and failed. Absalom also failed but not before he had chased his father out of the city. David had said: ".who know if God is not using Absalom to chasten me." He therefore would not lift a finger against Absalom.

Absalom lost his life and David mourned for his son. Later David would father another son, Solomon, and this son was God's choice to rule.

Many blamed David for lack of fathering. However, we were not there and so do not know all. We all make mistakes and often are misinterpreted by our children and others.

Today is Sunday and we come to our perfect Father to worship, because He is good. He does not make mistakes. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment