Sunday 18 February 2018

The Good Shepherd


Even when I go through the darkest valley, I fear no danger, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff — they comfort me.
Psalms 23:4 HCSB

In Proverbs we see: spare the rod and spoil the child. So what is a rod? A stick perhaps. We know that the staff is the shepherds crook, not being a shepherd, I can only imagine. We see images of shepherds with a long stick and a hook on the end. I imagine this would be a good tool for rescuing sheep.

The unusual thing about this verse is the sheep find comfort in a good shepherd who leads them well and uses his tools of trade to guide and defend them.

The Lord is my shepherd. He lead me. Therefore I can imagine He leads me through the darkest valleys, on the way to good pasture. He is good after all. I have to trust Him to keep me and protect me from the enemy of my soul.

Many are the trials of the righteous but He delivers them out of them all. Psalm 34:19

Storms and trials can make us scurry. Why not stand and allow God to defend you, providing this is not a result of your own foolishness, then things might be different.

The enemy likes to make a meal of us, especially when we are foolish. However repentance and a cry for mercy will keep you. I pray for mercy and grace. My God has an abundant supply of both. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment