Friday 23 March 2018

The Whole Book


For whatever was written in the past was written for our instruction, so that we may have hope through endurance and through the encouragement from the Scriptures.
Romans 15:4 HCSB

Although the New Testament supersedes the Old Testament, it actually is built upon it. Jesus was the fulfillment of the Old Testament and it's requirements. However, reading the Old Testament I see Jesus woven through it like a silver thread.

Many of the stories of the Old Testament encourage me in my faith. When called to walk by faith I need to see how others did it. The Old Testament characters are so colourful they can't help but stand out.

If the Old Testament was written for our encouragement, it does that and more. Hebrews 11 tells me I am surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses cheering me on. It is good to know who they are.

I am instructed by the godly behaviour of the saints of old. It is a blessing to read their faithful journeys. I particularly love Daniel and David. I love Daniel's integrity and faith. I love David's passion for God. Both these men encourage me to remain faithful and stay the distance.

Our God gave us both sections of the bible. They are both relevant to out walk and make us complete. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment