Friday 13 April 2018

Do Not Repay Evil


See to it that no one repays evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good for one another and for all.
1 Thessalonians 5:15 HCSB

This scripture harkens back to Matthew 5:38-45. Here in the sermon on the Mount, Jesus had began confronting teaching of the day with a higher way. Paul summarises it in this scripture above.

How do I repay evil for evil? This is basically saying: 'If you hurt me I will hurt you.' However Jesus and Paul were saying not to do this. Unfortunately we do repay evil for evil. When pushed, crushed and driven we retaliate, much like wounded animals. In the sermon on the mount Jesus said: "do not resist an evildoer. On the contrary, if someone slaps you on the right cheek, turn the other to him also."

These are hard words to bear and only His grace will enable us. In myself I do get angry and want compensation when abused.

In ourselves this grace and level of forgiveness does not abide. How it outworks in our lives is individual. This cannot require abused women and children to stay in abusive homes. I am sure this has to do with attitude and not ranting and raving and speaking ill of others.

We each must work out our experience before God and seek Him for His way. Myself I know God is dealing with my reactions to ill treatment. He is training my heart for a greater good. I can trust Him. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment