Tuesday 15 January 2019

Ears to Hear


“I assure you: Among those born of women no one greater than John the Baptist has appeared, but the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been suffering violence, and the violent have been seizing it by force. For all the prophets and the Law prophesied until John; if you’re willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who is to come. Anyone who has ears should listen!
Matthew 11:11‭-‬15 HCSB

The verse for today is: anyone who has ears should listen. Yet, why did Jesus say this? He had just been speaking about Jphn the Baptist and saying that John was like the prophet Elijah, reborn. He was giving honour to John, his cousin. You might ask: " but why did He say "but the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."" Good point! Jesus wasn't putting John down but rather raising up the new (to them), the kingdom of heaven.

The comment about having ears to hear is referring to our ability to receive the truth He is imparting. We would have to agree that we all can listen but not actually pay attention and receive revelation about what the speaker is saying. I find that when I am preparing to go to church on Sundays and have an attitude of hunger for God's voice in the message, I come away hearing revelation.

If I am listening to anyone speak about anything, if I have a desire for understanding and knowledge, I will receive. This is what Jesus means about having 'ears to hear.'

This truth begs the question: why listen, if you do not want to hear? Good question! Why indeed! This applies to reading our bibles. Why not chew our way though instead of being on a programme or reading plan which causes us to feel like we have an amount we must read to say we have read it but not digest it. I am guilty of this. I do prefer to read a book and chew my way through, this way I glean.

Whatever you choose, be mindful of what you read and ask for revelation, there is so much to gain. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment