Tuesday 30 April 2019

Forgive to Be Forgiven

“For if you forgive people their wrongdoing, your heavenly Father will forgive you as well. But if you don’t forgive people, your Father will not forgive your wrongdoing. Matthew 6:14‭-‬15 HCSB

Forgiveness is a big deal. We cannot afford to hang on to our upsets with others. Jesus teaches this after teaching us the Lord's Prayer (which was not intended to be the sole prayer but rather a format).

In the Lord's prayer we say: forgive us our trespasses as we forgive others their trespasses against us.

Keeping a short account helps me first and releases others as well. The best way I can forgive is to pray for those who offend me. This is my opportunity to bring good change into the world.

Yesterday I spent most of the day at the hospital with my frail mum. Her bowel had twisted on her for the 12th time. As I have been a registered nurse in my past I was watching the medical staff and some were not as good as others and I made sure mum received the best care even to the point of being very direct. Unfortunately I came across as a bit of a bully. I was sorry for my behaviour but knew I could bear no malice but needed to care for my mum. I pray the young staff forgive me as one day they face a similar situation. Likewise I must forgive them and pray for them.

Forgiveness is cleansing and as necessary as cleaning teeth. Forgive, bless and release. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment